Friday, March 26, 2010

The Tie That Binds

We are back from Mexico, and I want to update all of you on our trip. But I am finding this blog difficult to write. This week has been full of emotions, most of which are difficult to put into words. Not to mention that I don't feel that I can rightly sum up for my whole family. So, what did we do? That is a good place to start. We worked. Ryan did some welding and put vinyl decals on the mission's trucks, vans and trailers. I assisted with his work and painted, folded a few towels, helped with meals when possible. The kids played, and played, and played - at the work site, at Casa Verde (Isaiah 55's home base), all the time. I spent a lot of time watching them and praying for everything. And there was a lot to pray for. The town of Reynosa is a town in the midst of dark times. The drug cartels are at war and the people are in fear. No one wants to travel at night. Border guards want to know why in the world you want to cross into Reynosa, or why any of the missionaries would choose to live in Reynosa. The climate has changed. But my impression is that the border has never been like the rest of Mexico anyway. It is a different beast. Not the vacation destination most Americans think of when Mexico comes to mind. Truth be told, it is ugly. Buildings are in ruble, trash is everywhere, the poverty is evident and in your face. In fact my first impression, never having been out of country at all, was Oh No! Can I do this? I felt painfully American. But within hours of getting to Casa Verde and having a chance to settle into our room, God began to quiet my heart. He used my own children to minister to my fears. As we came in to Reynosa I noticed every sad scene, cracked building, pile of trash. Ellie made comments about the pretty colors things were painted, how nice that girl looked, the trees and the flowers and even the pigeons! See waved and said "Hola!" to every national she met. John Thomas, who does not open up as quickly, took to Casa Verde like home. He was playing and happy, the same kid he would have been at home. When the work team began to arrive from Indiana and Illinois, both kids were so happy to see them, comfortable with being around them. They made fast friends. Within two days they had made favorites among the group and the whole work team loved on my kids. And of course by then all the staff of Isaiah 55 had arrived to Casa Verde from meeting the work team and getting supplies. My impression of them: Family. They loved each other and they loved us. They loved Ellie and John Thomas, which is the quickest way to my heart. By the end of the week my fears were gone. I was even attempting high school Spanish to communicate with the ladies that cook and clean at Casa Verde and some of the teachers also. And Ryan? He was happy, content, at peace. So now we will wait to hear back from I55 and see if their impressions are as favorable, and we will all pray for God to reveal His will to us. Waiting will be hard. Honestly I would have sent for my furniture if it could all work that way. And yet, I was also so touched by friends here in Greenwood. Not a day went by that we did not get a text or phone call from some friend or another, lifting us in prayer, encouraging us from scripture, just telling us they loved us. The blog page on Facebook jumped from 90 to 143 fans in the week we were gone. I could truly feel the prayers. Greenwood is not going to make it easy for us to leave. Yet I know this, the tie of Christians is a strong and quick bond. The work team from this week, a group of mostly college students all from the Apostolic Christian Church, made that bond very clear. They were so nice to us. They welcomed us into their group, invited us to worship and devotion, played with our kids, shared their hearts. And if you are unfamiliar with the AC Church, they worship differently from Presbyterian. Yet despite the difference it was a joy to live with them for the week, they are our family in God (as John Thomas says). As we were leaving on Thursday, they for the work site, our family for the airport, they sang us off. "Blessed be the Tie That Binds." It was so beautiful. Those people from Indiana and Illinois are my family now. Brent and James, Kimmie and Erin, Kate and Nono from the Mission are my family now. Erwin, Amalia, Moises, and Karina, the nationals who work with I55, are my family now!!! Because Christ is Christ no matter what church denomination, and no matter what country. Christ is Christ for the deaf and the hearing, for the ugly and the polished clean. And the tie that binds our hearts, binds them forever and ever. Amen.

Karen

9 comments:

  1. Karen, I am just blown away by what you have written. It is so poignant and beautiful. I am so grateful that you all had such a wonderful experience. May the Lord show His perfect will in your lives in this and all decisions. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to Greenwood my friend...May God grant you a peace and an understanding as He opens and closes doors and windows in your life. May you all know clearly what and where He is calling you to. You are loved...each of you..not only by our matchless Father in heaven but by all the Dorns as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...I remember thinking once when you stood up and made a very impromptu speech at church that you were very gifted in speaking in front of people. In fact when I filled out your MTW form, I told Aaron that "Karen will be really good at coming back and sharing in front of people what the Isaiah 55 ministry is about." So I agree with Amy...well written friend:) This makes me miss you and your kids. So excited to see what God does next....

    Love you,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! So glad to have you back... But even more excited that you enjoyed Mexico! It was good to hear that everyone at I55 is doing well, since their blog hasn't been updated =)
    Can we say the Culbertson family has been bitten by the Mexico bug? =)
    Looking forward to seeing ya'll Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan & Karen -

    Glad to hear you & Ellie & John Thomas are home safely! I am happy to have found your blog and look forward to seeing how God uses you!
    I am so happy got to spend time with your family! And to be part of this heavenly family together! Will keep you all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was wonderful to spend a week with your family. May God make His will known to you and bless you in all that you do.
    In Christ,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan and Karen,

    It was a privilege to get to know your family in Mexico. Since we know that there are no coincidences with God, we also know that He ordained our time together. It was such a blessing! I must add that Casa Verde seemed unusually quiet on Thursday evening and Friday morning. It was obvious that Ellie and John Thomas were no longer with us and we missed all of you! :-) May God continue to bless your family and may He continue to reveal Himself to you as you seek His will for your lives! He is so faithful!

    In HIS love,
    Mike & Shari (and Jeff)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It became very very clear to me at the beginning of the week that our group would bond to your family in ways that are only possible by our common union in Christ. Our backgrounds were different when we came together, and our futures will likewise be different. However, we will always be connected by Jesus, His shed blood, and our common mission to reach a lost and hurting world.

    Several of us commented on our drive home how good it was to be with you this past week. Thank you for taking the effort to spend time with us in the midst of contemplating your future missionary destination. We will continue to pray for God to lead you according to His will.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ryan & Karen,

    We feel so blest to have met you in Reynosa. I know that God orchestrated the timing so we could spend the week with you and get to know your lovely family. We are praying for God's will to be done in your life regarding the mission journey. God is in control and He will open and close doors as He chooses. May God continue to bless you. We will keep up with your blog. We have a blog to, if you are interested.
    http://www.seeyouinc-u.blogspot.com/

    Love in Jesus,
    David & Jackie Eisenmann

    ReplyDelete